Increased latency and error rates
Incident Report for Strava
Resolved
This incident has been resolved.
Posted 11 months ago. Mar 20, 2018 - 10:22 PDT
Monitoring
We've made an internal routing change to bypass the degraded upstream service. Web availability is better, but still not 100%. Continuing to monitor the situation.
Posted 11 months ago. Mar 20, 2018 - 08:47 PDT
Identified
We have identified the source of the issue as increased latency and failures from an upstream provider, and are investigating mitigation options.
Posted 11 months ago. Mar 20, 2018 - 08:33 PDT
Investigating
We're investigating higher error rates and latency with web request traffic.
Posted 11 months ago. Mar 20, 2018 - 08:26 PDT